Connect with us

GOP

Voters in Nevada Sue Governor Sandoval for Creating Gun Sanctuary

Polipace Staff

Published

on

A group behind a ballot initiative that Nevada voters approved last year expanding gun background checks to unlicensed dealers is suing the governor and attorney general to try to make them enforce it.

The measure mandating FBI background checks on private-party gun sales passed by less than 1 percentage point in November after Republican Gov. Brian Sandoval vetoed a similar measure in 2013.

Attorney General Adam Laxalt has maintained that the new law can’t be enforced after the FBI informed the state in December it wants Nevada’s Department of Public Safety to conduct the checks itself in the same way it has done for commercial gun sales by licensed dealers since 1998.

Laxalt’s office issued a new legal opinion on Thursday that says the state can ask for the FBI’s cooperation to finding a solution, but he warned that any changes in the state’s existing system could result in further complications.

Nevadans for Background Checks filed the new lawsuit Thursday in Clark County District Court. They argue the ballot measure effectively changed the state system to dictate that the FBI perform the background checks.

“Regrettably, due to Governor Sandoval’s refusal to act and a flawed and incomplete opinion from the Attorney General, the Background Check Act has not been enforced and remains in limbo, contravening the will of the people of the Nevada who exercised their constitutional right to change the law to promote public safety and protect the communities of this state,” the lawsuit said.

Groups were pushing for the law’s implementation months before a gunman opened fire in Las Vegas on Oct. 1, killing 58 and wounding more than 500 in the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history.

They say that even though the gun background check law may not have been able to prevent the shooter from obtaining his guns, it would help keep firearms out of the hands of those who are suicidal or a threat to others.

“Last week was a terrifying wake-up call about why strong gun laws matter and parents like me won’t sit idly by as our leaders refuse to do their jobs,” said Elizabeth Becker, a volunteer with the Nevada chapter of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America.

“Our governor and attorney general now face a clear choice: Will they keep dragging their feet on enforcing the law voters passed last year, or will they start working with the FBI to implement it?” she said in a statement Friday.

Sandoval said when he vetoed a similar measure in 2013 that it eroded Second Amendment rights. His press secretary, Mari St. Martin, said Thursday the governor intends to review the new opinion from the attorney general.

Polipace.com is an independent political news site dedicated to exposing the truth.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

GOP

Tom Arnold Files Charges Against Mark Burnett

Polipace Staff

Published

on

Actor/comedian Tom Arnold and television producer Mark Burnett, known for reality TV shows like The Apprentice and The Voice, reportedly got into a physical altercation at a pre-Emmys party on Sunday night. Both the LAPD and Arnold’s lawyer, Marty Singer, confirmed the incident to The Hollywood Reporter.

Arnold tweeted about the incident around Midnight EST, alleging that “Burnett just went apeshit & choked me at this huge Emmy party then he ran away with his torn Pink shirt & missing gold chain.” He also stated that he’d called the police.

Around 9:45 am EST, Tom Arnold reported that he had filed charges against Mark Burnet “in West LAPD.”

<blockquote class=”twitter-tweet” data-lang=”en”><p lang=”en” dir=”ltr”>Sitting in West LAPD filing charges against your best bud Apprentice Outtakes Mark Burnett who lost his mind, attacted &amp; chocked me last nite at Katzenberg’s Night Before The Emmy’s Party. Last fight I got into there was with Harvey Weinstein. Mark Burnett is scared:) <a href=”https://twitter.com/hashtag/TrumpTapes?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>#TrumpTapes</a></p>&mdash; Tom Arnold (@TomArnold) <a href=”https://twitter.com/TomArnold/status/1041729746361475072?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>September 17, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src=”https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

In response, Burnett’s wife, Roma Downey (of Touched by an Angel fame) tweeted an image of her bruised hand, claiming it was injured during the confrontation. “Got this bruise tonight when Tom Arnold tried to ambush my husband Mark and me at a charity event,” she wrote. “Is your TV show worth it Tom? Please stop.”

Downey was referring to Arnold’s new show, “The Hunt For The Trump Tapes,” which premieres Tuesday on Viceland. The show follows Arnold’s attempts to find tapes that show Donald Trump expressing bigoted views on the set of “The Apprentice,” which Burnett produces.

Continue Reading

GOP

Manafort Will Lose Four Homes As Part of Guilty Plea

Polipace Staff

Published

on

Manafort, already convicted, will be pleading in Court Friday on more felony charges in order to avoid another very public trial. He seems to be willing to spend a great deal of money not to go to jail, and doesn’t trust he would be pardoned by Trump – and will be giving up four houses at a value of $46 million.

According to the agreement, he will be also losing his life insurance policy, which will be owned by the federal government. Not sure how that will work exactly, but maybe they assume Russia will “take him out” sooner than later?

A statement from the White House on Friday said the plea deal had “nothing to do with the president or his victorious 2016 presidential campaign”.

The former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort has agreed to co-operate with an investigation into alleged Russian meddling in the US election as part of a plea deal.

Continue Reading

GOP

Feinstein Refers Confidential Information About Kavanaugh to FBI

Polipace Staff

Published

on

Senator Dianne Feinstein says she’s notified federal investigators about information she received concerning Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.

“I have received information from an individual concerning the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court,” Sen. Feinstein said. “That individual strongly requested confidentiality, declined to come forward or press the matter further, and I have honored that decision. I have, however, referred the matter to federal investigative authorities.”

Feinstein — who’s on the Senate Judiciary Committee, which just finished confirmation hearings for Kavanagh — says she has “referred the matter to federal investigative authorities.”

Another committee Democrat, Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin, says the matter has been referred to the FBI.

Republicans are pushing to confirm Kavanaugh to the court by Oct. 1, when the 2018-19 term begins.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Recent Posts

Advertisement

What's Hot

Copyright © 2017 Pace Lattin Inc. powered by WordPress.