Following the forced resignation of US Attorney General Jeff Sessions, stock in marijuana rebounded. And now, President Donald Trump says it is likely the psychedelic herb will be decriminalized during his term in office.
The LA Times reports that President declared that he would “likely” support a congressional effort to end the federal ban on pot. The move would signify a significant change in the legal cannabis industry, as well as end the threat of a Justice Department crackdown.
A bill to decriminalize the herb is presently being pushed by a bipartisan coalition. It would allow for states to go forward with the legalization process without the threat of federal prosecution.
Trump made his comments to a group of reporters before boarding a helicopter to attend the G-7 Summit on Friday. He expressed support for the bill, which was proposed by the bipartisan group the day before.
“I support Sen. Gardner,” Trump said, referencing one of the bill’s main sponsors, Sen. Cory Gardner (R-Colo.). “I know exactly what he’s doing. We’re looking at it. But I probably will end up supporting that, yes.”
So far, Washington D.C. and nine US states have legalized the legal consumption of marijuana for adults. Additionally, 20 US states permit marijuana for medical use.
Once cannabis is decriminalized at a federal level, many of the restrictions and roadblocks preventing established businesses from conducting affairs in states where it is legal will disappear. For instance, as Gardner explained at a recent news conference, “If you are in the marijuana business … you can’t get a bank loan or set up a bank account because of concern over the conflict between state and federal law.”
“We need to fix this. It is time we take this industry out of the shadows, bring these dollars out of the shadows,” he concluded.
No One Hurt When Angry Customer Goes Nuts Because She Couldn’t Get a Beef Patty
A woman who couldn’t get a beef patty at a favorite New York eatery used a baseball bat in protest.
On Saturday, police released surveillance video of the woman in action in the Bronx — smashing a restaurant’s windows after learning the eatery had run out of her favorite food.
Police say the woman at the Back Home restaurant in the Morrisania neighborhood came in on the afternoon of Jan. 15 and ordered a patty. She was told they’d run out, and she got upset.
Authorities say she left and came back to the Jamaican restaurant with the bat. The video shows a woman bashing in two windows.
She fled and police were still searching for her on Saturday.
The video shows a woman dressed in a black and white jacket and matching sneakers, swinging a multi-colored aluminum bat as bystanders tried to stop her before she walked away.Drivers Around Nevada are Furious About This New RuleDrivers With No Tickets In 3 Years Are In For A Big SurpriseAd By Comparisons.org See More
No one was injured during the incident.
The Back Home restaurant in the Morrisania neighborhood is a simple, affordable spot that offers Jamaican specialties like curry goat and oxtail, drawing people from around the city.
Brooklyn District Attorney Drops Charges Against Mother Who Had Child Ripped Away by Police
A video showing NYPD officers violently removing a woman’s one-year-old child from her arms has sparked national outrage — even after NYPD and the Brooklyn DA informed us that they would be not pursuing charges. Additionally, NYPD Commissioner O’Neill has informed the public he is personally looking into the case..
Nyesha Ferguos posted the video to her Facebook page on Friday. It shows 23-year-old Jazmine Headly clinging to her son, Damone, and telling officers they are hurting him as they attempt to yank the child away from her. One officer waves a yellow stun gun at the outraged crowd, which includes children, several of whom are filming on their cell phones.
When she refused to stand, security called the police. The situation quickly escalated. Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams told CBS2 News that “a Taser was used” and that HRA peace officers tried to remove Headley because of what they described as “disorderly conduct towards others and for obstructing the hallway.”
Did Alexander Acosta Allow Famous Pedophiles to Go Free?
Secretary of Labor Alexander Acosta is under fire again for a plea deal for sex offender Jeffrey Epstein in 2008, when Acosta was U.S. attorney in Miami.
Acosta was reportedly under consideration to become attorney general, CNN reported earlier this month. Matthew Whitaker has been serving as acting AG, appointed by President Donald Trump after Jeff Sessions was fired Nov. 7.
However, because of a Miami Herald report on the plea deal, he is now out of the running for the post.
Epstein – a multimillionaire financier who counted Trump, former President Bill Clinton and Prince Andrew, Duke of York, among his friends – was accused of sexually abusing dozens of girls as far back as 2001 in what the Herald classified in its expose as a “large, cult-like network.”
Sources close to the president told the Herald Acosta is out of the running for the AG position.
Acosta approved a non-prosecution agreement for Epstein, which allowed him to serve only 18 months in prison.
Epstein pleaded guilty to two state charges of prostitution solicitation. The terms of the deal prevent him and his associates from facing federal charges, the Miami Herald said, which could have sent him to jail for life. He was required to register as a sex offender and pay restitution to dozens of victims.
- Republican Block Investigation into NRA’s Illegal Russian Donations
- By voice and vote, Communications Workers censure Trump’s racism
- FBI to Investigate Gilroy as Misogynistic Domestic Terrorism
- Inside Candace Owens’ $37,500 Reparation Check
- Gallery: Inside Melania Trump’s Extreme Forced Plastic Surgery